Friday, February 14, 2014

Parsley Almond Pesto

Parsley Almond Pesto
 
I love eating pesto.  I love to make pesto.  Who knew that a few key ingredients could mesh so easily and create such a delicious topping for many foods?  Obviously, the Italians were on to something.  While I do love pesto on pasta, I discovered that I also love it on pork chops!  We don't eat pork chops very often - they're not my favorite, and as you probably know, if it's not Mommy's favorite, it's not a family favorite!

We had pork chops in the freezer because they came with our awesome Omaha Steak Christmas gift.  My biggest fear with pork chops is drying them out, so I'd been avoiding them.  Until I was on Pinterest...  I came across a pin for pesto chicken and thought, hmmm, why not try pesto on pork chops?  I felt adventurous and determined.  We were going to have pesto pork chops.

Now came my favorite part of the pesto making process - the ingredient selection!  I make pesto with a lot of different greens, arugula being my FAVORITE.  I also vary the type of nut based on what we have in the cabinet.  Pesto is not restricted to basil and pine nuts!  Too expensive for this budget-conscious house.

I decided on parsley, almonds, and pecorino-romano cheese as my main ingredients.  We had all but the cheese!  The parsely had been on super sale at the farmers market - four bunches for a dollar!  So of course, Chap bought eight bunches.  Who doesn't need eight bunches of parsley in their fridge...

I wanted to have a lot of extra, so I used two bunches of parsley.  Also, I find that making pesto is a bit of an art.  You should start with less of the ingredients and taste often to adjust them.

Parsley Almond Pesto
(Makes 1 1/2 cups pesto)

Ingredients:
  • 2 bunches parsley
  • 1/2 cup almonds
  • 2 ounces Pecorino-Romano cheese, cut into large chunks
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Olive Oil

Directions:
In a food processor, combine almonds, cheese, and a decent sprinkle of salt.  Pulse to combine and break up the almonds.  Add the parsley and continue to pulse.  After well combined, turn food processor on and stream in olive oil until the pesto is the desired consistency.  Taste, adjust ingredients, and add pepper at this point.  Pulse and taste again until you are satisfied!

I find that I always need to add a little more cheese and salt to make my pesto taste just the way I like it.  Keep in mind, too, that dry pesto will be difficult to spread on meat or mix into pasta!  I usually need a little more olive oil that I initially thought.

The pesto was delicious on the pork chops and they stayed super moist.  Pesto goes well on meat, pasta, fish, and eggs.  Chap likes putting pesto into an omelet in the mornings!

How many ways do you use pesto?



No comments:

Post a Comment