Saturday, January 11, 2014

Dessert: Light on Calories and Budget

I love dessert.  Chap would rather have another serving of whatever dinner was, but the Monkey definitely takes after me and appreciates sweet things.  We are well aware of what sweet things can do to the waistline and our bodies overall, so dessert has to be made over in our house!  I will note that we aren't afraid of full fat foods in our house - we just watch what we eat overall to make sure fats are balanced with our protein and carbs.  Hence the butter in this recipe!  Fat is not the enemy.

Since we had lots of apples in the crisper, I decided to make a fake apple pie.  Here's what I did!

Fake Apple Pie
Serves 3
Ingredients:
*3 apples
*1/2 tbsp butter
*Cinnamon
*Nutmeg
*Honey or other natural sweetener

Step by Step:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and melt butter in bottom of baking dish.

Core and slice apples.  I love my apple corer/slicer!!

Remove melted butter and stir apples in the baking dish.  Sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg on top.

Drizzle a very small amount of honey onto the apples and stir once more.

Bake in the oven about 15-20 minutes or until apples are tender.  Enjoy!


I would love to try other spices in this recipe, and maybe I will come up with a healthy oatmeal topping!  I hope you love your budget and calorie friendly dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment