Sunday, January 5, 2014

Fueling with Breakfast

Do you have a go-to breakfast?  We certainly do in this house.  All three of us need something warm, filling, and affordable to start our day.

Usually my breakfast consists of oatmeal and some sort of topping.  Oatmeal is super affordable at any store.  Even at Whole Foods - $1.50 per pound in the bulk bin.  If I shop at the Dekalb Farmer's Market, I can get rolled oats for $1.49 per pound and steel cut for $1.19 per pound!  Lately I've also purchased Whole Foods' campus trail mix ($6.99 per pound) from their bulk bin to top my oatmeal.  All it takes is a handful, and I get a great mix of nuts and raisins to flavor my breakfast.

I also really love a tiny drizzle of honey and flax seed meal mixed into my oatmeal!  It tastes a little nuttier and only needs a tiny bit of sweet to make it delicious.  We buy whole flax seed and grind it in our coffee grinder.  It's on my list of "things I want but don't have to have" to get another grinder dedicated to flax and spices, but it hasn't happened yet!

I've also discovered, thanks to Chap, that oatmeal does not have to be sweet.  Do you ever have a morning where something sweet sounds awful?  Every so often that's the case for me.  He is great about cooking an egg and kale and topping the oatmeal with it.  I've also learned I like a little dash of soy sauce with this meal.  It sounds crazy, and for the longest time I resisted trying it, but the savory oatmeal can actually be a great change of pace.

Sometimes we keep boiled eggs in the fridge - I love a bowl of oatmeal with trail mix served with a boiled egg on the side!  The Monkey (being the two year old he is) always wants to "try Mommy's egg" even though he already knows he loves them!  I end up eating 1 egg plus a bite, and the Monkey takes the rest!  Talk about an easy breakfast!

New habit to help my muscles - DRINKING MORE WATER!  I have a glass while the oatmeal is cooking and won't let myself start coffee until I've had my water.  Our condo is really dry, so I'm glad my husband pointed out that I wasn't getting enough water throughout the day.  Being mindful of it helps so much!

I'm thinking about dinners for this week, so watch for a post about this week's budget meals!

No comments:

Post a Comment