Thursday, January 30, 2014

HIIT Review and Easy Recipe

I successfully completed the Tone It Up girls' new HIIT workout that I mentioned in the last post. I must say that it did what it's supposed to do! My heart rate was up and I was working hard. 

For someone who regularly exercises and has followed the TIU videos or other exercise videos, this HIIT workout is an excellent challenge and can easily be done at home, in a hotel, and (important for me) during the Monkey's nap time. You use your own body weight for the exercises and you hit all the major muscles. 

The beginning exerciser, on the other hand, would have a difficult time keeping up and completing the moves with proper form.  I workout regularly and constantly strive to improve my form on moves like squats, lunges, and push-ups. I found the moves challenging, so I feel that a beginner might get frustrated and give up. In the beginning, I found that basic moves were best for me and have only recently begun to move to more challenging variations. It's a process!

I liked the way the three circuits were structured! You complete each of 5 moves twice for 20 seconds on and 10 seconds rest. The entire workout video was 20 minutes long, which is not bad at all!  I appreciate short workouts because knowing they are short makes me work harder during that time. 

I had a lot of energy afterwards as well. Much needed!

Alright, on to the recipe I made yesterday!  A bit of back story - Chap has a friend in the egg industry. During the lovely Atlanta snow there was a poultry convention in downtown Atl and Chap's friend was going. For a couple weeks now, I've noticed on our shared calendar an event called "The Chicken Show" that I kept meaning to ask Chap about! It turns out Chap was meeting his friend there to walk around and get lunch. 

In honor of said Chicken Show, I made these delicious egg tacos for the Monkey and me. They would be fantastic for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!

Easy Egg Tacos
Serves 2

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp olive oil
4 eggs
6 grape tomatoes, quartered
1/2 cup leafy greens, chopped (I used arugula because we had it)
Grated cheese 
4 corn tortillas, warmed

Directions:
1. Crack eggs into small bowl, add salt and pepper, and whisk. 
2. Heat olive oil over medium high heat and scramble eggs. 
3.  Just as eggs are almost done add tomatoes and greens. Continue to stir. 
4. Add cheese, fold into mixture, and remove from heat. 
5. Spoon into warmed corn tortillas. 

So easy and delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment